Skip to main content

The Beauty of the Hill


This past Tuesday, as I was listening to my worship playlist, I received a brand new revelation. The song was one that was quite familiar to me. I had heard the words many times before but never like this. The lyrics echoed in my head:

Some may trust in horses and chariots
But I will look to the hill and I will not fear
Some may say that they found another way
But my eyes are on you and I will not move

On the hill there's a cross
On the cross there is blood for me... for me

And that's when it dawned on me that faith is the ability to climb. And not just climb, but climb when there are perfectly flat roads only a stone's throw away that would provide a much easier route. When really you could just hitch a ride. The modern world is very much keen on the fastest, easiest route, is it not? We are trained to "think smarter, not harder", right? So why climb?

The song goes on to say:

Oh precious is that blood on the hill
It still has the power
Wonderful power
To heal our diseases
To cover our weakness

Ah, yes of course! That is why we climb. Because there is a healing that only comes with higher elevation! And the thing is, some of us don't even know that what we need is up there. So we google map (or Wayz) every way we can to bypass the hill. After all, hills are obnoxious! Give me a choice between getting sweaty, dirty and tired to the bone walking one inclined step at a time and I certainly will chose an alternate. But what I'm realizing is, there is no shortcut to where I want to go. 

If perfect love cast out sin, then I am left weighed down with all of my infirmities, failures and problems until I have met that love. Until I've walked to the place where that bloody sacrifice was made to cover me. 

So if you are struggling with which road to take, take the one that leads to the cross. The "bloody and beautiful" display at the top is the only remedy for all the pain, broken, anxiety, sickness, and dysfunction that you have been carrying this whole time. And after you get there and have taken what was there for you and left what you no longer needed, the rest of the journey is a breeze. Upward to your liberation and downward in victory- that is the beauty of the hill.

Comments

  1. I like how you say bloody n beautiful. that's a perfect way to describe His living sacrifice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.
    This is beautiful.
    Am leaving with " Faith is the ability to climb." So amazing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I’m So Tired of Not Having Sex

I’m 33 years old and I’ve never had an active sex life. It’s not because anything is wrong with me physically or because of a traumatic experience (even though there were some of those). It’s because I’m a Christian.  Now I know by today’s standards being a single Christian doesn’t automatically mean your sex life is nonexistent but I grew up in the C.O.G.I.C. (Church of God in Christ) where “holiness is right” and amidst the long list of things considered “holy”, having sex before marriage was definitely not one of them Ephesians 5:3 (Trust me, I checked). So what’s a good girl to do but hang on to her virginity for as long as she possibly can, right? Sounded like a grand plan to me. Meet a boy, marry the boy, give him something no one has ever had, have a family and make God proud because you did it the right way. Well that plan got a little distorted when I met Kendrick in 2008. I had just moved to DC to attend college at the illustrious Howard University but was o...

Celibacy and the Modern Christian Man: Interview Series

Living a celibate lifestyle in today’s society can be a little daunting. I mean, let’s face it, anyone would agree that celibacy is not necessarily the most attractive (pun intended) popular culture move. Everywhere you look, especially if you are looking at the media and entertainment markets, you are likely to run into illustrations that sex can come with or without strings. Most of the time it’s without. And least likely does it come with one set of permanent strings like it does for the Christian who is serious about their moral values.  For a person abstaining in this kind of environment, it can be easy to feel alone. And yes, there is The Wait Book by Devon and Meagan Franklin and Ciara and Russ’s gleaming love story to slightly ease, glamorize and validate the age-old Christian pastime of celibacy for us. Not to mention Pinky Promise and a couple other organizations that seek to remind us that we are not exactly alone in the struggle. However, these stories are...

5 Things I Learned About Business From Getting My Hair Done

Recently, I went from a fabulous brunette to a blonde bombshell. I had been wanting to make the switch for years now so needless to say, I was very excited that the time had come. As many of you know from my Instagram post, the appointment was not exactly the pleasure bucket I was expecting. Here are the 5 things I learned about business from getting my hair done: 1. Time Management Is Key My appointment was at 11am. I didn't leave the shop until 6pm. What should've been maybe a 4 hour process was stretched almost double the time. As a frequent member of the Church of CP Time, I've made my share of late appearances. I will give myself exactly enough time to get places without accounting for any hang ups along the way. This hasn't been the wisest decision because as we all know, hang ups can rear their ugly heads quite frequently. In my case, it's mostly in the form of traffic but anyways, I digress. This is only one example of me not managing my time eff...